How to clean mold off wood.

Sep 12, 2015 |

Everyone has some kind of wood in their homes. It could be doors, walls, floors, window sills, and trim. All of those things, along with any other surfaces in your home, could be susceptible to mold.

Mold is potentially very dangerous and can cause everything from headaches and congestion to brain damage and death. As such, any problems need to be handled by professionals. If your mold problem tests as nontoxic or you choose to handle it yourself there a numerous ways to solve your mold problem depending on which surface your mold is growing on.

Everyone spills some water from time to time but if water is left on wood floors for too long and doesn’t dry it can damage the floor and or begin to mold. If you ever spill some water on your furniture it can go through the furniture and sit on the floor and mold under your couches, chairs, beds, or anything else that has an under. If your floor has scratches from pets or moving furniture then mold can very easily grow in those scratches once they get a little bit damp.

If you do decide to cleanup your mold yourself there are some safety precautions you need to take especially if you think you may have a mold allergy. Most importantly you need a respirator. You also should have rubber or nitrile gloves and safety goggles that do not have air vents on the sides.

If your floor is still properly sealed you should just be able to wipe up whatever mold is growing on top of it with just some water and vinegar, do not use bleach on wood because bleach is toxic and will discolor nearly anything it comes into contact with. Chances are that your floor is not pristine if mold is growing on it. Especially since mold is so often related to water damage.

Your floor is a well-worn and there is some mold growing on it that won’t just wipe away. That is because the mold is likely growing a few millimeters into your wood floor. Again I recommend calling in professionals but if you don’t, what you need to do is sand away the mold using sandpaper while periodically spraying it with vinegar to prevent the mold from spreading.

One you have sanded the entirety of the mold away vacuum up any leftover dust. The sanding will leave ugly marks on your floor that will also leave them vulnerable to more mold in those same places. You then need to refinish your floors with polyurethane and are done, it won’t look like new but you will have stopped the mold from spreading and are mold free.

Let’s say you find some mold on the wooden beams in your attic. It would be extremely expensive to replace said wooden beams so unless the structural integrity is compromised you should just try and remove the mold from the wood. You can basically follow the same steps as removing mold from the wood floor.

Put on your safety equipment, spray vinegar on the mold, and then sand away. Chances are that the mold is deeper than the surface so it won’t completely go away. So what you need to do at that point is apply a coat of fungicidal sealant or just paint the wood to make sure that any leftover mold won’t affect you and probably won’t grow back.

If you have excess lumber lying around for use in a project but you took a little too long and the wood began to grow mold. You can follow the same vinegar and sanding process to make it safe for use again especially if you paint or use the previously mentioned fungicidal sealant. This could potentially save you a ton of money because lumber is so expensive.

Another popular place for mold to grow is on kitchen cabinets. If a kitchen is not well ventilated mold will often grow in or around the cabinets. This is because there is a lot of water being used in the kitchen, between boiling water for cooking and using hot water to clean dishes the relative humidity in kitchens can be pretty high if not properly ventilate.

This heat and high humidity creates the perfect breeding ground for mold. Wooden cabinets are quite beautiful but also susceptible to mold. If you notice mold on your cabinets the first thing you need to do is vacuum them with a bristled attachment that attachment then needs to be soaked in vinegar to kill off any mold spores.

The next thing you need to do is spray vinegar on the affected area then let it sit for half an hour and wipe it away. Repeat for as many times as it takes to remove all signs of mold while letting it air out. The vinegar smell will usually dissipate within a couple of hours.

If your mold infestation is in more than a couple isolated spots I again urge you to call in professionals. Mold can be extremely dangerous and should be treated as such.

You can learn more about what to look for at this site

If you want look up more do it yourself mold cures there are a plethora of them online. Remember to use the necessary safety precautions, respirator, rubber gloves, and safety goggles without vents while dealing with mold in any capacity.

It is also a very smart idea to have a  home mold professional at least come inspect your home to make sure your mold infestation is not worse than you can see. Mold is potentially deadly if it is one of the toxic varieties or someone’s mold allergies are sever enough. Why put your family at risk when you could just spend some money and have professionals make sure that your house is totally mold free and safe.

Posted in: Home Maintenance

Comments are closed.

css.php